Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Halloween costumes, and the art of building a taco.

I used to love Halloween.

Then I started working in the haunt industry.

Don't get me wrong, I still love it. I love the weather that fall brings, I love the idea (though this doesn't ring quite as true anymore) that you could wander around your neighborhood, getting free candy yes, but more than that, socializing with your neighbors. I love caramel apples. I really love caramel apples. (Did I mention, I LOVE caramel apples??)

What I DON'T love is the unoriginality, these days. What happened to making your own costume? What happened to creativity, as opposed to seeing how much skin you can legally show? I think that's part of what I loved about working a haunt. You made your costume (or pulled it from a pile of dirty, smelly, hand me down costumes... yeah, TOTALLY made mine....), you made your character, you took pride in what you were doing. What happened to all that?

Now, being the hypocrite I am, if I need to do any dressing up this year, yep, I'll either wear a costume I already have, or go buy one. But I think I'm more thinking in terms of kids... when did we stop encouraging creativity? I mean, really. Does everything have to be so pre-packaged??

That's my rant of the day.

On the flip side... I got tacos for dinner today, and can someone please explain to me why Taco Bell insists upon putting the cheese on TOP of the lettuce? I dunno about you, but I prefer my cheese a bit melty, on my tacos.

That's my pointless bitching, for today.

Now, time to pack, as I will be HOME IN 23 HOURS. Not that I'm counting or anything.

Click here to read the rest of my blog posts, or subscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment